The actual process was a bit problematic, but mostly due to my own stupid mistakes -- such as turning the mixer to the high speed setting instead of the "off" position while extracting it from the batter, and misreading the instructions ("Why is this batter so thick? Wait -- how much water was I supposed to add?"). I tried to make it as simple as possible and got everything store-bought:
- pre-made cherry pie
- chocolate cake mix
- can of chocolate frosting
- jar of maraschino cherries (optional)
- Mix the batter as per the instructions on the box
- Pour a little bit of batter into a round baking pan (I used about 1 1/3 cups)
- Place the de-tinned pie on top of the poured batter
- Pour some more batter on top
- Bake as per cake instructions. I found it took a little longer to fully bake than what the instructions indicated.
|The finished product|
I only worry about what sort of precedent I've now set for next year's pi day celebration...